This is a simplified version of Character Creation in Fate CORE, mainly written in plain English. It is in contrast to my article on Fate Accelerated a couple of days ago:
- Write down two concepts for your character, one should be an overall concept and another should be a troublesome concept. We’ll use Janice as an example.
- EG: Janice’s high concept is “Wealthy Newspaper Reporter”, and her trouble is “Frequently crosses into restricted areas” in search of a story.
- Briefly describe your characters’ first adventure and how it helped define an aspect of her life.
- EG: Janice comes from a wealthy family, but her chosen career started out as a high school newspaper reporter. By accident, she found out about steroid abuse on the High School football team. For her work in uncovering the abuse, she was given an award by the Principal, but the Coach was fired, and the Football team has bullied her sense. She has since Disliked Bullies.
- Briefly work out how you have met and worked with two other player characters in the game, and how they worked together.
- EG: Janice is wealthy, and her family has a butler, Branson. He’s served as the Waldorf family butter for over 10 years and has covered (and assisted) Janice countless times, even though Branson disapproves of her activities. Janice also knows James, her personal mechanic and sometimes bodyguard. James is overly protective of Janice, and sometimes this bothers her, but she knows that he means well.
- Briefly work out a time when you separated from your fellow player characters, and why you returned to work with them.
- EG: When Janice’s father passed away two years ago, she fled the family mansion and lived in New York City. The change of scenery helped her cope with her grief, but when Branson called her to inform her that her mother fell sick, she returned home. Family comes first.
- Choose how your character best deals with/approaches problems using these methods (list them from the best to the least skilled): Athletics, Burglary, Contacts, Crafts, Deceive, Drive, Empathy, Fight, Investigate, Lore, Notice, Physique, Provoke, Rapport, Resources, Shoot, Stealth, Will
- EG: Janice shows the most skill (to the least) with Investigate, Resources, Contacts, Deceive, Burglary, Empathy, Notice, Rapport, Stealth, Will, Provoke, Physique, Athletics, Drive, Fight, Shoot, Provoke
- Pick three signature moves that gives your character a notable advantage when they can use it.
- EG: Janice is comes from a very wealthy family. Once per game session, she can use her Resources to buy her way out of a conflict by offering a bribe
- EG: Janice is Familiar with police procedure, and can add a +2 to any Investigation roll when the police are involved.
- EG: Janice always has an Ear to the Ground, and can roll Contacts instead of Notice to detect an ambush.
- Determine how much Stress your character can Physically and Mentally take. This is determined by the Physique and Will skills.
- EG: Janice’s player will consult a chart to map out these values.
While it’s a little more complicated than Fate Accelerated, that’s Fate CORE in a nutshell (and without the majority of the Jargon)!